Art historians have argued that modernism in Armenian architectural history began in the early 1960s after the infamous decree of Khrushchev regarding redundancy in architecture (Decree 1871, date 1955). The official announcement from Moscow, provided the incentive for local architects to initiate a new movement in Armenian modernism. Soon it yield major results. For the first time since the late 1920s, Soviet architects gained the opportunity to familiarize themselves with international architectural movements with the reintroduction of Western architectural magazines into the Soviet architectural education and profession. Still, for those Armenian architects trained based on the decorative language of Alexander Tamanyan architectural school, it was difficult to make the abrupt shift into this new Soviet-wide stylistic trend.. The early modernist buildings, up until the mid-1970s, revealed a certain inclination towards the use of decoration. Many architects felt that the only means to give character to otherwise uniform typology was to utilize decoration.
In later stages in the Armenian modern movement, forms began to obtain structural independence and individuality, and decoration was gradually avoided. The new architectural modernist school was formed in late 1970s. It privileged structural and architectural coherence and tectonic unity of the constructions. New typologies of buildings, the basic design of which was based on structure, emerged and are defined as High Modernism in Armenian architecture.